English is an international language. Most of people use English as their second language. There are thousands of interesting facts about English language but here we will discuss only a few of them. Here we are going to share top 10 facts about English that will blow your mind. Let’s get in touch with the facts below herein.
11 Mind-blowing English Language Facts
1. There are two forms of “The”. We say ‘thuh’ before a consonant sound (the television) and ‘thee’ before a vowel sound (the air).
2. The longest word in English is “pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis” with 45 letters. It is a kind of lung disease caused by inhaling ash. It is pronounced as pneumono – ultra – microscopic – silico – volcanok – oniosis.
3. There are 3 methods of pronouncing the ‘-ed’ in any verb. ‘T’ as in ‘liked’, ‘d’ as in ‘loved’ and ‘id’ as in ‘wanted’.
4. Similarly ‘-s’ ending: ‘s’ as in ‘cats’, ‘z’ as in ‘dogs’ and ‘iz’ as in ‘horses’. It depends on the peculiarities of the final sound.
5. Did you know, we can use past tenses to talk about the present or future:
- I wish you were here with me now.
- If only I was wealthy.
- If I won a million dollars, I would give it all to you.
6. Only 2 words are there in English that have all the 5 vowels in alphabetical order. These are: Abstemious and Facetious.
7. The shortest, oldest, and most commonly used word is “I.”
8. ‘Pronunciation’ is one of the words in English which is most mispronounced by the people.
9. The dot (.) on the top of ‘i’ and ‘j’ is called ‘tittle’.
10. There are only 5 words in the English Language that end in “dous” stupendous, horrendous, hazardous, tremendous, apodous.
11. ‘Bookkeeper’ is the only word with 3 consecutive sets of double letters.
English is a wonderful language. It is also known as the language of Air. It means all pilots have to identify themselves and speak in English while flying. Keep these facts in mind and let the friends and family members know about it. For any query or suggestion, you may comment below through the comment box. We will get back to you as soon as possible.